Ooh, we had a big mess in here a few weeks ago. After searching for curtains I didn’t hate and could afford, I finally gave up and tried printing my own…. They were affordable, but I still can’t decide how much I like them.
Little crazy, huh? I used my patterns board for ideas and then this dress for the shape. I was pretty sure I wanted green, but…. what I ended up with was more like if Green Lantern and The Flash got married and made up a new symbol. Which is why comic book-loving Mr. Nice does, in fact, like them.
So we’re getting somewhere – I don’t think they’ll be in the “permanent collection,” but I learned a lot, and they are acceptable as curtains in another, less public room.
To remember for next time:
- Cat naptime was the perfect time for this project.
- Load up on the screen filler – I had to use masking tape to cover up a few holes where ink leaked through. The masking tape was not a great fix however, as it still seeped through and I had to keep replacing the tape.
- Masking tape is very useful! I used it to mark on the screen frame where I want to line up with my fabric (ie., I wanted the image two inches from the edge of the so I taped the frame two inches from the image and used that to line it up.
- Work fast but not too fast. I sure did spill some paint on the curtains (don’t move too fast), but the paint also started to dry and congeal towards the end (don’t move too slow, and put a lid on the paint when not in use).
- Pulling the ink across twice worked best – I think this is because the muslin is not smooth and the first swipe of ink did not fill the gaps and holes.
I have to say that although I may have not chosen the best image, I LOVED the result of screen printing – it’s very sharp and smooth and I will certainly be doing this again.