grainline moss skirt. in moss.


Pattern:  Moss Skirt by Grainline Studio

Fabric:  vintage US military wool, $5 because of moth holes, from The Knittn’ Kitten in Portland, OR (this store is AWESOME.)  There was enough fabric that I was able to work around the moth holes.

What can I tell you about this skirt?  I cut a 6 because I thought my measurements matched perfectly but it’s a little snug – the fabric is stretchy, so I guess it works… (the general public may be offended though).


I did not hem the bottom because I like the unfinished look, and I am too tall to have a too-short mini skirt, but it’s starting to fray so I might do a small hem.  I wasn’t sure how to finish the seams because it’s way too bulky for french seams, so I ironed them flat and stitched about 1/8″ on each side of the seam – I really like how it looks on the outside actually.


I learned a lot on this one – this was my first time making a fly front zipper and although I screwed it up a few times, I enjoyed making it.  I had never done pockets this way before either.  However, since the fabric is bulky, it’s a little unsightly from the profile….



Finally, one of my favorite parts of this skirt is the “US” stamp I positioned in the bottom left corner – another reason I don’t want to hem it.


The back waistband does gape a little like other sewists have found, but other than that, as usual, this is a great Grainline pattern – I love her patterns and I love her blog!

christmas things

Addendum: OK, this post sucks because I can not figure out how to align text and pictures how I want them (I remember going through this with blogspot too, I have no idea how I eventually got it to work) and my pictures are too small because I’m worried my computer can’t handle any decent photo editing software.  I’m sure someone will comment and tell me how to do all this and I’m sure I won’t understand 😦

Wow, that really makes you want to read this post, huh?

I went a little crazy with the Christmas crafts this year, via my  “christmas things” board… it was my way of coping when I decided not to get a tree because the kittens are so. naughty. lately.

I caved and bought a tree last weekend anyways.  They’ve been pretty good but I had to take the presents out from under it because they kept biting them and trying to eat the wrapping paper (visualize me rolling my eyes here).

Aaaanyways…. what do we have here?  First, an “advent” calendar I made by sewing 24 little muslin bags (a few are vintage plaid from this shirt because I ran out of muslin).


Inside are a number of vegan treats – I did not want it to be all candy and chocolate, so aside from those treats I used fruit leather, nuts, dried fruits, a little bag of coffee and cinnamon sticks, popcorn and “ranch topping,” spicy hot chocolate, and satsuma tangerines.  I know I got the idea from something on the internet last year, but I’m not entirely sure where.

I made this garland over the course of last Christmas and the Christmas before.  You can find my inspiration here (see, this was pre-Pinterest).


A little felt tree, inspiration here.


Some boxwood wreaths, inspiration here.


An incredibly complex craft of my own creation.


Some hand-stamped Christmas cards (they may or may not look like they were made by a 5-year-old).



And some snow globes, again from this post.  (Ohmygod I went to Hobby Lobby for the first time to get the supplies, ohmygodohmygod I was in heaven.  It’s like Michael’s on crack.  I think I was there for an hour and a half).  It’s so hard to see through this glass, but it is a little tree with a little cardinal glued to it with some gifts at the bottom (I cut out little foam cubes and wrapped them in tiny pieces of wrapping paper, then took some thin ribbon, snipped it and ripped it lengthwise to make it thinner, curled it up and taped it on).


a new blog and another victory (pattern)


Wow, hang in there with me while I adjust to WordPress. This is going to be a learning process.  And thank you for coming on over from smunch.

Well here I am, with another Victory pattern, this time Hazel. I tend to disregard recommended fiber content because I’m too focused on colors and prints, so the top is a cotton shirting and the bottom is some kind of crinkly something (I’m very technical). The thing about it is, – these colors were different before I bought them. I swear to you the top was a lighter minty-blue and the bottom was an orangey-mustard (OK some people reading that may be glad the colors mysteriously changed) and I was kind of disappointed when I got home. My evidence is that the thread I bought PERFECTLY matched in the store, and it sure doesn’t now. Lighting I guess – the dress is still OK, just not what I thought I was making.


Like Chloe, I cut the top in a 6 and tapered the waist to the hips from a 6 to an 8, and it worked fairly well again. Sadly, when I put it on for these pictures I heard a big “Crrkk” (is that how you spell a rip sound?) and the point of the “V” on the neckline ripped. I’ll try to stitch it up but at least it’s covered by the bow. I think it’s related to what I’ve found to be true with both patterns I’ve made – the arm holes are somewhat small and the arms are therefore restrictive, and I even have noodle arms. I can’t do a push up.


Overall, good, easy enough (although it is marked beginner, I would have had a tough time with the neck if I was a true beginner – or maybe that just speaks to the level I’m still at!). I’m thinking about modifying it but I’m not going to say how because EVERY single time I say on my blog I’m going to do something, I NEVER EVER do it.

So, this is very different from blogspot and I think I’m going to have to go through a few iterations to get what I want – I know it’s very taboo to have a craft blog with no banner but I really don’t like the free themes that have banners and many of my pictures were lost with the Great Hard Drive Crash of 2012.  Bear with me!